The Historic Haven that is Clydesville
Clydesville was built in 1853, for John Nicolson – one of Queenscliff’s first sea pilots who guided the ships through the heads.
Another notable resident was Charles Troedel (1835/6 Hamburg – 1906 born Johannes Thedor Carl Troedel) a German-born lithographic printer prominent in Melbourne during the late 19th century. He was apprenticed to his father at the age 13 and at the age of 24, emigrated to Melbourne, arriving in Williamstown on board the Great Britain in 1860.
Trading as Troedel & Co, and from 1910 Troedel & Cooper, Charles’ company had close links with many well-known artists of that era. Troedel & Cooper continued to be well known in the printing industry for over 100 years.
One of Troedel’s apprentices was Sir Arthur Streeton who was still working for him before being discovered by Tom Roberts and Frederick McCubbin. Sir Arthur requested to be relieved of his apprenticeship duties to travel abroad with Tom Roberts and Frederick McCubbin.
In 1863, François Cogné convinced Troedel that a book of Melbourne views would be a financial success. This artwork was ultimately published as 12 monthly subscriptions of 2 views per month and known as the Melbourne Views. A bound copy of the full 24 views is held in the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra.
Queenscliff abounds with history and hours can be spent exploring the town and its many attractions. This historical society has films, artefacts and endless information about times gone by.